These pancake mix muffins are the perfect shortcut muffins for a quick homemade breakfast. Make gooey banana chocolate chip, strawberry, and blueberry pancake muffin flavors all in one pan so everyone can have their favorite muffin!
Don’t lose this recipe! Enter your email below and we will email this recipe to you, plus more yummy recipes weekly.
Table of Contents
Ingredients For Muffins
Ingredients For The Muffin Base
- Pancake Mix– I used the just add water style mix. This Krusteaz pancake mix is what we usually have in our house. I have not tried this recipe with other variations of pancake mix or alternative pancake mixes. If you try other types of pancake mix, leave me a comment or email as to how it went!
- Sugar– You will add sugar the batter, but a sprinkle of sugar on top of the muffins can give the muffin just a little more sweetness. Use a thicker cut coarse style sugar like this for the top only to make more of a bakery muffin. This can be done on any flavor muffins.
- Milk– Could possibly substitute vanilla yogurt that isn’t low fat in a pinch.
- Oil– You can use your favorite, olive oil, canola oil, avocado oil and vegetable oil all work for this recipe.
Ingredients For The Muffin Toppings and Flavors
- Fruit- I’ve used strawberries, blueberries and about half a banana. Your fruit may vary depending on what flavors of muffins you want to make.
- Chocolate chips– You can use chocolate chips, or just chop up any chocolate into pieces.
- Peanut butter– Warm the peanut butter in the microwave for a few seconds to make it easier to mix into the batter.
How To Make Pancake Mix Muffins Out Of Just Add Water Pancake Mix
Mixing the base batter is pretty simple and easy!
- Measure the dry ingredients into the bowl
- Add the wet ingredients– mix together with a spatula. If you’re using an electric mixer be careful not to overmix, as it can make the muffins heavier.
- Mix into a batter.- Mix until all of the the batter is combined. Make sure to check the bottom of the bowl as dry ingredients sometimes hide at the bottom. This batter is on the thicker side.
- Portion into oiled muffin tin – I like to use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to portion. This fills the muffin wells to about 3/4 full. Bake for 12-15 minutes.
Adding Three Muffin Flavors To One Muffin Pan
Next we are going to mix three flavors into one pan. That way everyone can have their favorite flavor without having to make three dozen muffins. This recipe is a great way to use up leftover fruit at the end of the week.
- Mix Flavors Into Batter– Add first the flavors you want mixed into the batter. We’ve added strawberries, blueberries, and warm peanut butter. Then with a spoon or a toothpick swirl the flavors into each muffin.
- Add Any Toppings– Bigger fruit pieces, like banana slices, work best when added to the top of the muffin instead of mixed in and look pretty. You can also sprinkle a little extra of whatever you mixed into the muffins on top. I’ve added more strawberries and blueberries and a little sugar on two of my flavors. On the third, I’ve added sliced bananas and chocolate chips.
- Bake– Bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes. A lighter brown is perfect for these muffins, a darker brown color tends to dry them out. Enjoy!
Mix Up Your Pancake Muffins! Variation Ideas
You can mix these flavors right into the muffin pan. This allows you to easily create multiple flavors per batch.
- Strawberry Banana– ¼ cup diced strawberry and ½ a banana sliced in thin rounds per four muffins. Mix the strawberry in with toothpick, then lay the banana slices on top.
- Banana Granola– ½ banana cut into small round pieces and ¼ cup granola per four muffins. Add the granola and mix it in with a toothpick, then lay the banana slices on top.
- Chocolate Chip – ¼ cup chocolate chips per every four muffins, sprinkle with sugar on top. (Use coarse sugar for more of a bakery style muffin if you have it.)
- Raspberry Dark Chocolate– ¼ cup raspberries and 4 teaspoons dark chocolate chips per every four muffins. Mix raspberries and chocolate chips in with a spoon, saving a few extra chocolate chips for the top. These are also delicious with a sprinkle of sugar on top.
- Birthday– Add sprinkles! Mix in with a toothpick, adding a few extra on top.
Yes, you can add maple syrup to dip your pancake muffins if you choose! You should also try the crescent roll cream cheese danishes that you can add fruit or chocolate too, they are easy to customize too!
Other Recipes You Will Love
- One Bowl Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins– quick, easy, and made with a few swaps to make these muffins a little healthier
- Blueberry French Toast Casserole– This delicious blueberry french toast casserole is so tasty, and you can even make it ahead. Topped with a buttery streusel and lots of warm blueberries, your family will love it.
- Blueberry Muffin Bread– All of the deliciousness of blueberry muffins, but in one big loaf pan.
- Fudgy Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies– Quick and easy, these delicious fudgy cookies start with a chocolate cake mix and only have a few ingredients.
Pancake Mix Muffins
- Muffin Pan
- Large bowl
- Silicone spatula
- Measuring cups and spoons
For The Muffin Base
- 2 1/2 cups pancake mix just add water style mix
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ Cup sugar
- 1/2 Cup milk
- 1/4 Cup oil
For The Toppings
- 5-6 strawberries
- ½ Cup blueberries
- ½ banana
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons peanut butter
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Oil the muffin pan generously.
- In a large mixing bowl add pancake mix, eggs, sugar, milk and oil. Combine well with a silicone spatula until the egg yolks fully mix into the batter and there is no more dry pancake mix in the bowl. Muffin batter should be thick.
- Fill each of the muffin wells evenly with batter until about ¾ full. Using a ¼ cup measure and a spoon will help scoop evenly between the muffins.
- Add different flavors to each muffin and mix with a toothpick or spoon. We've used diced strawberries, blueberries, and a peanut butter, chocolate chip and banana muffin flavor. See the notes for how to add each flavor.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown and baked through the middle. Watch carefully not to overbake, these muffins should be on the lighter side. Making them too brown may dry out the muffins. Cool and enjoy!
- Strawberry– 4-6 tablespoons diced strawberry per four muffins ( About five medium strawberries, but this doesn’t have to be exact.) Press into the top of the muffin batter once in the muffin tin and swirl with a toothpick or spoon.
- Blueberry– 1/2 cup blueberries per four muffins. Press into the top of the muffin batter once in the muffin tin and swirl with a toothpick or spoon if needed.
- Banana Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip – ½ banana cut into thin rounds. ¼ cup chocolate chips and 2 teaspoons warmed peanut butter per four muffins. Warm the peanut butter in the microwave for a minute, then add ½ teaspoon and swirl in the batter in the muffin tin with a toothpick. Top the muffin with chocolate chips and 2-3 banana slices.