This delicious grilled chicken kabobs recipe is marinated with fajita seasoning then mixed with fresh vegetables on skewers for a delicious dinner. Grill these delicious kabobs on the grill or bake in the oven for a delicious dinner.
While I could say we eat these grilled chicken kabobs mostly in the summer or on taco Tuesday, but really? They are delicious all year long.
Tender and delicious chicken breast is marinated, then threaded onto skewers alternating with fresh peppers and onions. The time and work for this dish is in allowing it to marinate.
Once seasoned and marinated these chicken kabobs cook up fast making them perfect for a backyard bbq or party too!
What Do I Need For This Chicken Kabob Recipe?
- 1.5 pounds of chicken- cut these evenly into 1 inch pieces so they cook evenly.
- Olive oil- Avocado oil can also be used
- Seasoning for the marinade- A mix of oregano, cumin, salt, pepper, a little bit of caynne pepper and lime juice makes the marinade delicious
- 2 Red peppers- cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 Green peppers- cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 Purple onion- cut into 1-inch pieces
What Can I Swap In This Recipe?
- Pieces of pork or steak can be substituted for chicken, but cook times will vary.
- Use any bell peppers in this recipe. Colored peppers like red, orange and yellow are sweeter than green.
- Use white or sweet onions in place of purple onion
- Add fresh mushrooms, zucchini, cherry tomatoes or even fresh pineapple to these skewers.
- Cayenne pepper can be left out.- I’ve found even picky eaters usually like it with just a tiny bit of cayenne which adds to the flavor, but it can be removed. Cayenne pepper does have a slight heat on its own.
How Long Should I Marinate The Grilled Chicken Skewers?
While you can marinate this chicken for an hour and it will be juicy and delicious, the chicken gets even more flavorful if you marinate it a little longer.
When I plan ahead I like to marinate the chicken overnight. That also means this recipe is great to make ahead for dinner, or for a party as most of the work is already done.
Chicken on the grill is so delicious! Try the honey garlic chicken potato foil packets. Packed with a delicious sauce, tender chicken, and vegetables for a delicious dinner. Plus foil packets are easy to customize for each person.
How Do I Keep Bamboo Skewers From Burning?
If you are using bamboo skewers on the grill, they can easily char a little on the grill and burn. Soak your bamboo skewers in water for at least 10-15 minutes, but for up to an hour.
After soaking your skewers, then thread the chicken and vegetables onto the bamboo. The water keeps them from burning.
Metal skewers can also be used, and don’t have the same burning or charring issue. Metal skewers are a little harder to eat straight from the skewer as they get very hot, so I recommend removing them from the skewers for eating if you use metal.
How Long Do I Grill The Chicken?
Once marinated and on the skewers, these chicken kabobs only need 10-15 minutes on the grill over medium heat. Chicken should be cooked through, no longer pink in the center. The inside will reach 165 when tested with a meat thermometer.
Can I Bake These Chicken Kabobs In The Oven?
Bake chicken kabobs in the oven preheated to 350 degrees for 25- 30 minutes on a lightly oiled pan.
If you have chicken on the bone, my oven-baked chicken drumstick recipe will give you an idea of how long to cook. You can use this marinade with the chicken legs too!
If you love recipes like this, you should try my super easy Crockpot Shredded Chicken Tacos. So tasty, and makes an easy weeknight meal.
What Should I Serve With Grilled Chicken Kabobs?
My favorite way to eat these kabobs is straight off the grill to my plate! These kabobs are delicious for a backyard BBQ. Serve them with fresh corn on the cob, salad, and with some cold watermelon. Black bean and corn salsa, fresh guacamole, and other flavors of salsa with some chips are also all delicious on the side.
You can also pull these kabobs off the skewers and place all of that goodness in your favorite taco shell (soft or hard).
Throw leftovers over flavored rice in a bowl, with roasted corn, over nachos, or in a quick quesadilla for a fast lunch.
These recipes go great with grilled chicken kabobs for your next BBQ.
Grilled Turkey Burger Sliders – Another great grilled recipe that kids love.
Chicken Bruschetta Pasta– Great hot or cold, and the chicken can be grilled.
Pesto Pasta Salad
Italian Pasta Salad– You can make this recipe ahead of time!
Broccoli Pasta Salad
Grilled Chicken Kabobs (With Fajita Marinade)
- 1.5 Pounds chicken breast cut into 1-inch pieces
- ¼ Cup olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon oregano
- 1 Teaspoon cumin
- 1 Teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon caynne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Juice from 1 lime about 2 tablespoons
- 2 red bell peppers cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 green bell peppers cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 red onion cut into 1-inch pieces
- Prep the chicken by cutting it into one-inch pieces. Place raw chicken pieces and oil in a large bowl with a cover or a gallon-sized Ziploc bag.
- In a small bowl, combine the oregano, cumin, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, black pepper, and salt. Mix the seasoning until combined.
- Add the lime juice and seasoning into the bowl or bag over the chicken. Place the chicken in the marinade in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- When ready to grill, thread the chicken, bell peppers and onions onto kabob sticks, alternating between chicken and vegetables. Leave around two inches of stick exposed to hold the kabobs. A little extra oil can be brushed lightly on the vegetables if desired to keep them more tender.
- Place the kabobs on a hot grill and cook over indirect/medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes. Flip the kabobs halfway through the cook time. Chicken is done once cooked all the way through with no pink on the inside and the inside of the chicken measures 165 degrees with a meat thermometer. Serve and enjoy!
Love the recipe? Make sure to give it a star rating and let others know too! Ask any questions, share how you made the recipe, or how much you loved it down in the comments.