Bananas are very popular in our home! I like to keep them on hand on a regular basis, and these mini banana muffins are hands down our favorite muffins to make using the over-ripe bananas.
Don’t lose this recipe! Enter your email below and we will email this recipe to you, plus more yummy recipes weekly.
These mini banana muffins are super moist, have little bits of chocolate chips throughout and make a perfect treat for playdates, quick breakfast options, and even toss in your child’s lunch.
Playdates are the ultimate entertainment for your child, plus it isn’t too shabby for the parents either. In our home we count down till the next play date, it is always a fun adventure! Playing with friends is a blast and helps all of us break up the week. With fun costumes, block towers tumbling over, and the laughter of little ones warms my heart.
I love when we have new kids join in on the playdate, it’s like a breath of fresh air. The more, the merrier in my eyes.
With all that fun playtime comes some rumbly tummies that need a tasty snack, and that is where my mini banana muffins come in. These bite-size muffins are delicious, and the kids and parents will both be reaching for seconds.
My family always reaches for thirds when I make this blueberry bread loaf. It’s just like a blueberry muffin, but you’ll spend less time making portions. Plus you can slice just a little piece off the end when no one is looking!
The Perfect Mini Banana Muffins To Serve Up
I am all about having snacks available during playdates when people come over. With all that playing the kids need to have food to give them a boost and water to hydrate. Plus my helper always ensures there are three chocolate chips in each muffin.
Your kids will have a blast helping make these muffins. They are super easy to whip up, and the flavors are perfection. So grab a bowl, spoon, and measuring cups and roll your child’s sleeves up. Let them help you make the perfect treat to go along with their play date.
Ingredient Notes For Banana Mini Muffins
- I substitute applesauce for the oil to help make them a bit healthier, and no one will ever know.
- The chocolate chips add the perfect amount of sweetness, and your kiddo can practice their counting skills. We do three chips per muffin, but your welcome to do as many as you want.
Can You Use These Muffins For Mealprep?
What is so great about these muffins is you can make ahead of time, serve up for breakfast with some fresh fruit, or slide into your child’s lunchbox.
Can You Freeze These Mini Muffins?
Freeze these mini chocolate chip muffins and just thaw and serve when you want. I love making a big batch of our favorite muffins and cookies and then freezing them, so on days I might forget to whip up a treat for our next play date, I have goodies stocked.
Doesn’t This Banana Mini Muffins Recipe Need Oil or Butter?
No butter or oil is needed in the batter for this muffin recipe. Oil and butter creates moisture in baked goods like muffins, cakes and quick breads. In this recipe the combination of applesauce and banana keeps these muffins gooey and delicious.
You may need a little oil for the pan so the muffins release depending on the type of pan you use.
How Do I Keep These Muffins From Sticking To The Pan?
There are a couple of different choices to keep muffins (even mini muffins!) from sticking to the pan.
Using A Metal Muffin Pan
- Spritz the pan with a light spritz of oil. I prefer this one because of the short ingredient list, but any pan spray can work alright.
- I also like cooking with baker’s pan release spray. I usually pick Wilton’s baking spray , but I know a lot of people like Baker’s Joy. This kind of baking spray is formulated for baking to help baked good release from the pan.
- I don’t recommend paper liners for this type of muffin. With the some of the alternative ingredients, the muffins tend to stick too much to the liners which can be frustrating.
Using A Silicone Muffin Pan
Silicone pans now come in all different shapes and sizes. Silicone does get a little wobbly when you are putting it in the oven, but allows you to pop the muffins out of the pan without using any oil or liners. Muffins baked in silicone pans always come out the perfect shape! Here’s a great silicone pan starter kit, including a mini muffin silicone pan.
Before filling a silicone pan with your muffin batter, place the silicone pan on top of a metal cookie sheet. Place both the silicone pan and the cookie sheet in the oven when baking. This will give your pan more stability and allow you to move the muffins easily in and out of the oven.
I am sure you and your family will enjoy these bite-size mini banana muffins. They are our go-to muffin, toss in a few chocolate chips, or even add some nuts for that crunch factor.
You can never go wrong with mini muffins in our house. The mini size makes them extra scrumptious.
Other Recipes You Will Love
- Frozen Chocolate Dipped Banana Pops – These delicious and healthy banana treats work best with a ripe banana, yum!
- Banana Popsicles – Only three ingredients for these delicious banana popsicles that are creamy, tasty and dairy free!
- One Bowl Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Cozy Apple Walnut Cake
- Cherry Clementine Muffins
- The Best Super Fluffy Pancakes With Almond Milk
Mini Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 2 medium Over Ripe Bananas
- 2 large Eggs
- 1/2 cup Applesauce
- 1/3 cup Honey
- 1 tbsp Vanilla
- 1/2 cup Mini Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine flours, baking soda and salt. Stir until combined.
- In a separate medium-sized bowl, scramble too eggs with a fork.
- Using the back of a fork, mash bananas until smooth without chunks. Add to egg mixture.
- Add applesauce, honey, vanilla to the egg and banana mixture. Mix well.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients in the larger bowl. Stir until combined with no lumps.
- Using a spoon, portion batter into mini muffin tins. Sprinkle mini chocolate chips on the tops.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes, or until when you insert a toothpick no raw batter clings to the toothpick and the toothpick comes out clean. (avoiding melty chocolate chips with this test.)