Cozy homemade cranberry maple granola is the perfect breakfast to start your day. This delicious and easy granola is packed full of oats, tart cranberries, sweet maple syrup, and vanilla. With just a little sweetness, this granola is perfect for breakfast.
This granola has the perfect balance of sweet from the maple syrup. It also has a little mix of sweet and tart from the cranberries and coziness from the vanilla and cinnamon.
What makes this granola recipe easy?
I’ve been making easy granola for years, and I think people don’t realize just how easy it is to make granola. Don’t feel like you have to be super exact with the ingredients, this recipe is very flexible.
Swap nuts for sunflower seeds or add a few. Change the flavor of the dried fruit to raisins, dried blueberries, or your favorite dried fruit. Try sprinkling on a few chocolate chips after the granola has cooled, yum!
Once you’ve made granola once you can totally customize it to your favorite flavors- which also makes it a great choice for kids!
Is Toasting The Oats Necessary?
At the beginning of the recipe we start by toasting the oats and sunflower seeds. This step gives the oats more chewiness and the sunflower seeds more flavor. You can make granola but it just isn’t the same if you skip toasting.
Need more breakfast ideas for kids? Check out some of my favorite healthy breakfast ideas.
How do I keep the granola from burning?
It can be really easy to overtake or burn granola. It goes from brown to too crunchy fast.
Crisping the granola in the oven as it cools helps keep the granola from burning, It is a much easier way that doesn’t require watching the oven as closely.
Why add the cranberries at the end of the recipe?
Cranberries, other dried fruits, or chocolate always needs to be sprinkled on at the end after baking granola. These ingredients are a little more fragile and become a sticky mess if you add them any earlier.
What do I serve Cranberry Maple Granola with?
A bowl of crunchy granola can be such a great breakfast pick me up. This is the perfect make-ahead recipe for busy mornings. Just pair granola with a little yogurt or milk and breakfast is ready to go!
Other ways to serve granola
- Sprinkle it in a tortilla with peanut butter and banana
- Top pancakes with granola like my almond milk pancakes
- Sprinkle on top of toast
- Add to the tops of homemade muffins, like my banana applesauce muffins
- Make into a parfait with fresh fruit and whipped cream or yogurt
- Add granola to your trail mix
- Top apple slices with peanut butter and granola for a snack
Can’t get enough sweet cranberry flavor? Try my Cranberry White Chocolate Chip Cookies! Chewy, buttery cookies bursting with cranberry!
Cranberry Maple Granola
- Baking sheet
- parchment paper
- Wooden or silicone spatula
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Medium sized mixing bowl
- 3 cups rolled oats
- ½ cup unsalted sunflower seeds no shells
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup all-natural maple syrup
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup coconut oil melted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup ground flaxseed
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
- In a parchment paper lined baking sheet, add the oats and sunflower seeds. Place in the oven and bake toast for 10-15 minutes, stirring every five minutes until toasted brown.
- In a medium mixing bowl add cinnamon, salt, maple syrup, honey, melted coconut oil and vanilla. Mix the mixture with a whisk Pour the wet mixture over the oat mixture; stir well.
- Sprinkle the flax seed over the oats, then add the maple syrup mixture to the pan, gently stiring until all the oats are well mixed into the wet mixture. Spread the mixture out on the pan. Turn off the oven..
- Place the granola back in the oven (now turned off but still warm) for 25-30 minutes until crispy.
- Remove the tray of granola from the oven and sprinkle with the dried cranberries.
- Allow the granola to cool on the baking sheet until room temperature. Break the granola into bite-sized pieces. Store in a container with a lid and enjoy!
Did you make this granola recipe? Ask questions or tell us about it in the comments, and don’t forget to leave it a star rating!