These no bake chocolate oatmeal bars are soft and chewy with a delicious layer of chocolate and peanut butter in the center! Gooey and just a little chewy, these delicious chocolate peanut butter bars never last long!
Don’t lose this recipe! Enter your email below and we will email this recipe to you, plus more yummy recipes weekly.
I’ve been on a no-bake dessert kick lately. First, it was my gooey Peanut Butter Chocolate Krispie treats, and now these delicious bars. Though it’s not a surprise when you are finding all the ways to enjoy peanut butter and jelly that a chocolate peanut butter dessert like this would also pop up!!
These delicious gooey bars are pretty fast to prep, and just made for sharing! Plus really not many peanut butter fans can resist chocolate and peanut butter together?
If you are a peanut butter lover as much as I am, you have to try my Ultimate Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies!
Table of Contents
Ingredients For Chocolate Oatmeal Bars
- Brown sugar -Honey may be substituted, but the bars will be a lot stickier
- Vanilla extract – Almond extract can be swapped in a pinch
- Quick-cooking oats– You can use rolled or instant oats for this recipe. I don’t recommend using steel-cut oats (also sometimes called old-fashioned oats) for this recipe. Steel cut oats can cause the bars to be too dry with their thicker cut.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips– A dark chocolate chip is also delicious in this recipe. If you have a bar of chocolate, chop it into pieces before melting to make it melt a little easier.
- Peanut butter– I recommend using a no-stir style peanut butter, where the oil doesn’t sit on the top of the jar for this recipe. Crunch or smooth peanut butter can be used in this recipe
How To Make Chocolate Oat Bars
- Mix Oat Bar Base– Heat the butter and brown sugar together in the microwave, then mix with the vanilla and oats. Heat again in the microwave to help the oats absorb the butter a little better.
- Mix Chocolate Filling- In a second bowl heat the chocolate and peanut butter together in the microwave on half power until melted, stirring to mix. Place 1/4 cup of the melted chocolate in a zip-top bag.
- Layer The Bars– Press half of the oat mixture into the bottom of a parchment-lined 9×9 pan. Top The bars with the chocolate filling and spread evenly with a spatula.
- Add The Top Of The Bars– Layer the rest of the oat mixture on the top of the bars, pushing down gently with a silicone spatula.
- Drizzle The Chocolate– Snip the corner on the zip-top bag. Drizzle the chocolate over the top of the no bake chocolate oatmeal bars. Chill for 2-3 hours, then slice and enjoy!
Can I Use Natural Peanut Butter In This Recipe?
Natural peanut butter can be used in this recipe. Sometimes the oil in the peanut butter can begin to separate in the bars. Separation can especially happen if the peanut butter hasn’t been mixed well, but it can vary from brand to brand. I’ve had mixed results using natural peanut butter in this recipe.
Can I Make These Bars Without Peanut Butter?
I would suggest swapping in another nut butter into this recipe, such as almond butter or cashew butter. If peanut allergies are a concern, sunflower butter makes a great swap.
If you make these bars without the peanut butter altogether, the filling won’t be thick enough. I haven’t tried doubling the chocolate to see if it would work without the peanut butter. If you try this, let me know in the comments!
Without the peanut butter or some kind of nut butter, these gooey treats will likely taste even more like a buttery granola bar.
Other Desserts You Will Love
Chocolate Dirt Pie Cups– Chocolate pudding, whipped cream, Oreo cookies, wait a minute is that dirt or dessert? This delicious no-bake dessert is classic family fun, and I’ve include lots of variation ideas from different parties!
No-Bake Cornflake Cookies– Chewy, crunchy, sweet and slightly salty, these no bake cookies have a little bit of everything going on, you’ve got to try them!
Carmelita Cookie Bars- Rich, chewy cookies stuffed full of a layer of caramel and chocolate in the middle. You’ll love them to the last crumb!
No Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Bars
- 9×9 inch pan
- Silicone spatula
- Medium sized mixing bowl
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Zip top bag
- Tall glass
- 1 Cup butter
- ½ Cup brown sugar
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 Cups quick cooking oats
- 1 Cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2/3 Cup peanut butter
- Line a 9×9 pan with a square piece of parchment paper.
- Add the butter, brown sugar to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave until the butter melts, about 2 minutes. Mix the mixture well together until it turns a carmel color and the sugar dissolves in the butter, about, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the vanilla and quick cooking oats. and mix Microwave the oat mixture for an additional 2-3 minutes so the oats absorb the liquid. Press half of the oat mixture into the bottom of the pan.
- Add the peanut butter and chocolate to a new bowl. Melt the chocolate on half power on your microwave for 2-3 minutes, stirring about every 30-60 seconds to keep the chocolate from scorching. Place ¼ cup of the mixture into a zip-top bag and set to the side.
- Pour the remaining chocolate and peanut butter mixture over the oatmeal and spread it evenly. Add the rest of the oats evenly over the top.
- Snip the corner of the zip-top bag. Use the bag to drizzle the chocolate over the top of the bars.
- Refrigerate for 2-3 hours so the bars have time to set. Slice into 16 pieces and enjoy!