These rolo pretzel turtles recipe is fast and super fun to make. A delicious mix of sweet caramel, creamy chocolate, whole pecans and just enough salt from the pretzel. Decorate with sprinkles or more chocolate candies after they are out of the oven for the perfect easy treat.
If you love this recipe, you should also try my no bake chocolate oatmeal bars. They have a chewy oat top and bottom with a delicious chocolate peanut butter center. Yum!
Ingredients For Rolo Pretzel Turtles
You only need three ingredients to make these Rolo pretzel turtle candies.
- Chocolate Caramel Candies– I used Rolos, but any chocolate filled with caramel should work well. Unwrapping these candies before you start if they are wrapped in foil will help the process go even faster.
- Mini Pretzels– I used the twists, but most mini crunchy pretzels work.
- Pecan Halves – You can use pieces also, but you may want to add more then one piece.
Optional Ingredients For Decorating
- White Chocolate- A white chocolate drizzle over top of these homemade chocolates make these look so pretty!
- Sprinkles– We used some pink, red and white sprinkles for Valentine’s Day but you can swap out any colors you prefer.
Steps For Making Chocolate Caramel Pretzel Turtles
- Place Pretzels On A Parchment Lined Baking Sheet– Place the pretzels on the baking sheet. I was able to fit twenty-eight on my parchment paper. Since these treats don’t spread on the pan, you can place the pretzels right next to each other.
- Place Chocolate Caramels On Pretzels– Unwrapping the Rolo chocolate caramels and place one on each pretzel. Putting the wider side down isn’t a big deal with Rolo candies since both sides are almost the same size, but if you’re using a chocolate caramel candy with one side that’s significantly bigger than the other, it may affect how the chocolates look at the end.
- Bake The Chocolates– We’re placing these homemade turtles in the oven just long enough to make the chocolates gooey. Don’t go far, it only takes three to four minutes.
- Add The Pecans– Place a Pecan in the center of each chocolate and allow them to cool. You can stop and leave your Rolo turtles just as they are, or you can use my tips below to decorate them further.
Decorating Is Then Easy!
- Drizzle White Chocolate– Melt white chocolate in the microwave and drizzle it over the chocolates. You can also place the melted white chocolate in a piping bag or plastic zip-top bag and snip the corner, then drizzle the white chocolate over top.
- Add Sprinkles– We’ve pink and red Valentine’s Day style sprinkles today, but you can use whatever colors you like!
- Cool and Enjoy– The turtles will be melty for a while, it does take a bit for the chocolate to set up. You can place them in the refrigerator or freezer to help the chocolate set up faster.
What Could I Use Instead of Rolos?
Rolo candies are convenient to make that turtle flavor because they are made of chocolate and caramel. But any chocolate caramel candy that is slightly smaller then your chosen pretzels works. Dove has great chocolate or dark chocolate filled individual candies, you could use Hershey Kisses that have been filled with caramel or Cadbury has some delicious caramel filled chocolates called Caramello.
You can also use other kinds of candy and candy bar minis, but your flavor combo will change a little. I’d pick the bite-sized version of these chocolates, as cutting larger candies may make the center of the candies melt out too fast. You can try candies like Snickers, Milkyway, Reeses, 3 Musketeers that have a soft filling to them and experiment a little from this Rolo pretzel recipe.
If you choose to use another kind of chocolate, this may affect your baking time. Watch the oven carefully so you don’t overbake, and only keep the chocolates in the oven long enough for the chocolate to just begin to melt.
Can I Use Other Kinds of Nuts?
Sure, if pecans aren’t your thing you can swap out other kinds of nuts. Peanuts, cashews, pistachios, walnuts, or sliced almonds all work easily, but you can play around with what you have on hand.
I recommend for a harder nut like almonds using a sliced or slivered version. You can also sprinkle crushed nuts on top.
The combination of chocolate, pecans and caramel give that homemade turtles candies flavor, but other flavor combos are delicious too.
I’ve also seen others make a similar treat with a chocolate-coated candy like M&Ms pressed into the top.
Can I Make These In the Microwave, Toaster Oven Or Air Fryer?
These can be made in the microwave just a few at a time, but I wouldn’t recommend making a large tray in the microwave because microwaves tend not to heat very evenly. I recommend melting them for about 20-30 seconds, it may vary a little depending on your microwave.
Any toaster oven or air fryer that has a bake setting should work as long as you watch the chocolate carefully.
I wouldn’t recommend using the air fryer mode or setting for these chocolates as it heats up pretty intensely and may overcook the chocolate too quickly. It’s possible it would work, but would likely be more efficient to use an oven or toaster oven style setting.
Other Recipes You May Enjoy
- Valentine’s Day Snack Bites– Another adorable Valentine’s Day snack the kids will enjoy
- Chocolate Chip Cookies Sticks– Half cookie bar, half cookie, and really easy to make!
- Easy Homemade Heart Shaped Poptarts– Made super fast with refrigerated pie dough, and you can cut them into heart shapes.
Easy Rolo Pretzel Turtles
- Baking sheet pan
- parchment paper
- 28 Mini Pretzels I used twists, but waffle shape or circles work too.
- 28 Chocolate Covered Carmel Candy We used Rolos, but most chocolate candies filled with caramel should work. Unwrap before you begin if in foil.
- 28 halves Pecans halves or pieces
- 1 cup White Chocolate Chips optional for drizzle
- Sprinkles optional
Melting The Chocolate On The Prezals
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Line a baking sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Lay all of the pretzels on the baking sheet in a single layer. Place an unwrapped chocolate covered caramel candy on top of each pretzel.
- Place the pan in oven for 3-4 minutes. You want the chocolate to just begin to soften and melt. Watch carefully that they aren't in the oven too long, this part goes fast.
- Remove pan from the oven. Quickly press a pecan half into each candy. Decoate further or allow the chocolates to compleltly cool before serving.
- Microwave white chocolate chips in a microwave safe dish for 1-2 minutes. With a spoon, drizzle the white chocolate over top of each pecan. Quickly add sprinkles to the top of each chocolate before the melted chocolate cools. Allow the candies to completly cool before serving.
- Rolo pretzel turtles will stay fresh in a sealed container for up to a week.
- Nutrition information was determined per piece for ease