Time for a birthday party with lots of singing, dancing and this Trolls birthday party snack mix! Who doesn’t like to have a treat that’s quick, easy to make and fun at a party! When it was time for my own kid’s birthday party and she wanted a Trolls theme, I knew I had to make something extra fun! Plus if you happen to follow along with me on Instagram stories you might have guessed that I’m a big fan of the Trolls movie too! If you can hit a few buttons on a microwave, then you can totally make this fun trolls inspired birthday party snack mix and I even have a really good trick to make sure your party mix is fool proof farther down. Having a unicorn party? This totally works as a unicorn party snack mix too!
Trolls Birthday Party Snack Mix Recipe (Unicorn Too!)
*This post may include some affiliate links where we refer to products we use or love. We earn a small commision if you decide to purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for the support.
We decided that this year my girl’s present would be her birthday party. She had been asking for a “party with all of her friends” and last year we had a girl’s day out with the bestie. (That is equally as fun, don’t get me wrong!) This year though my girl is a bit Trolls obsessed and I jumped at the chance to make some bright and colorful food for the party. After a little brainstorming, this Trolls inspired snack mix is what I came up with!
Who am I kidding; my good friends know that I have a secret love for Trolls too. I used to collect Trolls as a kid, though only the Russ brand ones which were the cute ones.
Any who, this Trolls inspired party mix is definitely a really great treat. Before you know it the mix of sweet and salty will be calling your name and the name of all of the kids. I used a mix of kid-friendly toasted o-shaped cereal and pretzels for this mix. You could mix in all kinds of extras if you like but I kept mine simple.
Releated: Red White and Blue Party Fruit Salsa
So the most important part of this mix that makes this party mix feel like Trolls or unicorns is the color of the chocolate melts. I picked up my turquoise and pink chocolate melts at Michaels but I’ve linked to them on Amazon too so it makes them easy to find! The chocolate melts I used are made by Wilton and are in a bunch of different colors. You can also find these easy melt chocolates at any cake store. You want the melts that are already colored, if you try to add food coloring to the chocolates, the moisture in the food coloring will make the chocolate seize. No one wants lumpy chocolate.
The Trick To Making Your Troll’s Party Mix Recipe Stay Together
Another trick I use (and you are going to want to also!) is to add coconut oil to the chocolate to make it nice and drizzletastic. Is that a real verb? It is now. The coconut oil also makes the chocolate have a slightly harder coating that is similar to Magic Shell on ice cream.
I melt my chocolates in the microwave for a minute on defrost, stir, and then continue adding about twenty seconds at a time until melted. Once the chocolate is melted stir in about a teaspoon of coconut oil, and pop it back in the microwave for another twenty seconds, then stir again. Make sure to put that coconut oil in at the end, as it does contain a small amount of moisture. Your chocolate will be a-ok if you add it at the end, but the time I added it at the beginning I ended up with gloopy mess.
Now that you know the tricks, the rest is smooth sailing. Layer your pretzels, drizzle some chocolate…. Layer your cereal, drizzle some more chocolate and pop a few chocolate candies on top, I used pink and white chocolates. Then whisk it away to the freezer or the fridge so it hardens. Leave it in there for at least fifteen minutes in the freezer, twenty in the fridge, and then break it apart into chunks.
A couple of people have asked me to put links to the ingredients all in one place so they are easy to find!
Waffle Shapedd Pretzels– I like the flat surface, but any pretzel works
Tah-dah, you are a Trolls party mix expert! Now here’s a video to show you just how quick this is, followed by the full recipe!
Troll's Inspired Birthday Party Snack Mix Recipe
- 15 ounce Pretzels I used waffle shaped pretzels
- 8 ounces Turquoise candy melts
- 8 ounces Pink candy melts
- 4 teaspoons coconut oil
- 2 cups Cereal I used Cheerios
- 1 cup Chocolate Candies I used M&Ms
- Spread out a sheet of wax paper on two cookie sheets
- Lay a layer of pretzels out on each cookie sheet
- Place about half of a bag each of pink and turquoise candy melts each in their own small bowl. Microwave candy melts on defrost for one minute, then stir with separate spoons. Continue to microwave for 15-20 second intervals until candy melts are liquid.
- Add a teaspoon of coconut oil to each bowl, then microwave for an addition 15-20 seconds on defrost. Stir until melted together.
- Drizzle a layer of pink candy melts all over pretzels then sprinkle cereal on top of the pink candy drizzle.
- Drizzle a layer of turquoise candy melt as the next layer, then place chocolate candies on top of the drizzled turquoise candy melts.
- Place tray in either the freezer for ten to fifteen minutes. The fridge also works, you'll just need to leave it in the fridge a little longer, closer to thirty minutes. Break apart and enjoy!
Other Party Recipes You Will Love!
- DIY Teddy Bear Cupcakes
- Peanutbutter And Strawberry Owl Kid’s Party Snack
- Cat In The Hat Quick Kid’s Party Snack
This Trolls birthday party snack mix recipe was almost completely gone at the end of the party. It was a big hit! A friend of mine is already talking about making it as a unicorn party mix for her daughter’s party, which means it was a definite winner! Is your kid a Trolls or a unicorn fan?