Oh my gosh, who can resist an adorable teddy bear cupcake? These sweet bears are made with a delicious chocolate frosting recipe and a few quick decorating tips. Even a beginning baker or kids can decorate these bear cupcakes and they will be adorable. We made these cupcakes for my friend’s baby shower for her little baby girl! Everyone thought these bear cakes were so sweet, they were a hit at the party!
Teddy Bear Cupcakes
My friend asked me for a few cupcake ideas, and these fun teddy bear cupcakes are what we came up with! We made these sweet cupcakes for the baby shower for her little boy who is coming to the world in just a few weeks. I couldn’t say no to helping her out even though I don’t decorate cakes a ton. These little bear cakes turned out pretty adorable!
*This post contains links to products with an affiliate link. If you choose to purchase with my link, I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Teddy Bear Cupcakes- Get Your Supplies
You can use any recipe you like for the cake portion of these cupcakes. While I have an amazing from scratch recipe for chocolate cupcakes (coming soon!), I’ve been known to use a boxed mix before and spend my time on the decorating part. I’ve also made this recipe from The Stay At Home Chef before, and it’s pretty amazing. Below you’ll find a recipe for chocolate frosting! With a couple other simple decorating supplies that you can find at most stores, you will be able to make these cupcakes too.
Here are some of the decorating items you need to make these bear cakes, along with the frosting recipe below.
- Wilton Cake Decorating Tip Number 233 -This tip is great for looking like fur
- Icing Bags
- Candy Eyes
- Colored Fondant- In brown or light pink for ears
- Pink Or Red Chocolate Candies
Love making fun cupcakes? Check out my Patriotic Fourth Of July Cupcakes, where you learn how to make a two-color frosting swirl!
Use White Fondant With Food Coloring For Teddy Bear Cupcake Ears
For the fondant, you can also use white fondant with a little brown gel food coloring. You may want to wear a pair of gloves and food coloring can stain hands. To make it brown, start by kneading the fondant with the palms of your hands on a clean surface until warm. In the center add just a little gel food coloring. Using your hands and palms, work the food coloring into the fondant until the streaks are gone. If you want the color a little darker, add a little more food coloring and keep working until the color is even.
This method totally works, but to make the cupcakes faster? Just buy the fondant with the color already mixed in. I usually buy fondant premixed so I don’t end up with food coloring staining my fingers right before the party.
Teddy Bear Cupcake Variations
I was eyeing these cute little teddy bear cupcakes when they were on the counter, and couldn’t help but think of all the variations you could do! Here are a few ideas I had that would be simple ways to change up this teddy bear cupcake recipe if you just changed one or two simple things!
- Make these bear cupcakes pink for a little girl’s baby shower
- They would also be sweet in blue for a little boy’s baby shower
- What about a sweet bear cake for a first birthday, or a cake smash?
- Turn these bear cupcakes into polar bear cupcakes if you use white icing!
- Make panda bear cupcakes using a mix of white and black icing.
- Make them as a birthday treat with your kid’s favorite color, great school treat too!
Teddy Bear Cupcakes
- 12 Cupcakes
- 4 oz. Chocolate Fondant or, white fondant colored with brown gel food coloring
- Cornstarch for your fingers
- 8 tbsp Butter (1 stick) softened
- 2 cups Confectioner Sugar
- 2 tbsp Milk
- 1 tbsp Cocoa
- 24 Candy Eyes
- 12 Pink Candies
- Black or pink decorating frosting optional
- Make sure you cupcakes are completely cool before starting the decorating process! Lay some wax paper on your working surface to keep everything organized.
- Cover your hands with a bit of cornstarch to avoid fondant sticking to your fingers. Roll your fondant in 24 round pieces – about ½ an inch in size. This will make two ears for each bear.
- Flatten each circle and shape them to resemble teddy bear ears. Lay the teddy bear ears on your wax paper as you make them.
- Using an electric mixer, beat together butter, confectioner sugar, milk and cocoa starting on a low speed. Gradually increase to high speed until the ingredients mix and become smooth.
- Using a frosting bag and Wilton tip #233, frost each cupcake. Cover the cupcake top entirely.
- Place googly eyes, one pink candy and two ears on each cupcake. You can also add a smile with black or pink frosting, but they look cute without too!
Did You Make This?
I would love to see it! Share your thoughts with me in the comments below!
I hope you give these adorable bear cupcakes a try! They were so perfect for my friend’s baby shower for her baby boy, and I could see them working for so many events! Wouldn’t they be sweet at a first birthday party? Or even just as a fun classroom treat. What are you making these sweet bear cupcakes for?
More Recipes You Will Love:
Mini Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Easy Kid’s Party Mix – I made this for my daughter’s Troll’s Birthday party but you can easily switch out the colors for ANY party theme!
Comments & Reviews
Johnny Williams says
My wife found on her phone teddy bear cup cakes with small teddy bear cookies as ears which was in Nov. 2018, also she wants the recipe of cup cake with small marshmallow made into flower petals. She also needs the pumpkin pie individual cakes plus pops and finely cup cakes that looks like pin wheels on top. If you don’t have these can you tell me which books I can find them in as I’m on a fixed income.
Thank you for your help.
On My Kids Plate says
Hi there, I think your wife was likely on either google or Pinterest. I suggest searching for the recipes you are looking for there, which is free. Unfortunately, the ones you have mentioned aren’t my recipes, thanks!