This super easy homemade sidewalk chalk paint recipe is totally fun for the kids to both make and paint. Use cornstarch and let the kids mix up their own colors and paint the whole driveway! This recipe for this sidewalk chalk paint is super fast to make plus the paint is both nontoxic and washable. Follow these simple instructions for a DIY kids art idea that is perfect for bringing a little summer fun.
The BEST Simple Sidewalk Chalk Paint Recipe (Washable too!)
Summer is rolling in and I know I’m not the only mom looking for ways to keep the kids busy. I quite honestly always look forward to summer when our kid’s art projects can move outside. I like doing art projects, but feel like I can relax a little more when we move it all outside.
Psst, try making this from your pantry too! Make this DIY Homemade Hand Sanitizer to take with you to the park or on summer adventures when you don’t have soap!
This easy three-ingredient chalk paint was our answer. It’s inexpensive to make a whole bunch of chalk paint. Very quickly from our small little batch of paint, we have painted a large portion of the back patio.
The driveway is next!
With only three ingredients in this recipe, it is so simple. The first time I walked my kid through making one of the colors. She was able to make all the rest of the colors.
It’s a really easy project to let even younger kids help mix. They will love mixing all the colors of the rainbow.
Other Summer Fun Ideas You Will Love:
How Can I Make My Own Chalk Paint?
First your add cornstarch to each of the containers in your paint pallet. We are using a muffin tin today and my seven-year-old is helping to mix it.
Then mix your first color of food coloring in with the water.
Stir your colored water into your cornstarch. The spoon will drag a little on the bottom.
Repeat for each of your colors. Then take your DIY chalk paint out to play in the driveway or on a patio.
How Do You Make Washable Sidewalk Paint?
The trick to making this DIY chalk paint washable is to add the food coloring to the water first. When working with food coloring it’s really easy to have it dye your hands every color of the rainbow.
If you add the food coloring and the water to the cornstarch at the same time, the food coloring will stay more concentrated. This means when you dip a finger into the paint it will stain your hands.
By mixing the food coloring in the water first to make our chalk paints we can dilute the food coloring so it no longer stains once you add it to the cornstarch.
What Kind Of Brushes Do You Use To Paint?
I recommend using a wide brush with this paint for best results. Either a big fluffy paint brush or a foam brush works well.
My girl also started getting creative and using dandelions, leaves and even pinecones after a while as her paintbrushes. You can experiment with other objects too.
My Paint Seems Watery, Why?
The cornstarch in the paint will separate, especially in the beginning when you first start painting or after it’s been sitting for a little while.
Bright Colors Solution: Give the paint a good stir mixing the cornstarch back into the water, and it will paint colorfully again!
How Do You Make This Chalk Spray Paint?
You can turn this into spray chalk too! Fill your spray bottles with a half a cup of cornstarch. Add food coloring to a cup of water then mix into your cornstarch in the spray bottle for each color.
By watering down your paint, you’ll be able to spray it through the spray bottles which works really well for young kids. Most of the time we stick to brushes though.
Easy Homemade Sidewalk Chalk Paint Recipe (Washable!)
- Muffin Tin Pan
- Wide Paintbrushes
- Small Jar Or Bowl
- Spoon For Mixing
- ¾ cup cornstarch
- ¾ cup water
- food coloring
- In a muffin tin pan add 6 teaspoons of cornstarch to each muffin well.
- In a separate jar or bowl add 6 teaspoons of water and 6-8 drops of food coloring or preferred color. Mix until combined.
- Add your colored water to one of the muffin wells and mix well with the cornstarch. Repeat with the other five muffin wells with different colors mixing each well.
- With a wide paintbrush, stir chalk paint well then use to paint on the sidewalk or driveway. The paint will sometimes start to separate as the cornstarch moves to the bottom. Simply give it a good stir and the colors will paint colorfully again.
- Mixing food coloring with water before adding to the cornstarch is an important step that keeps this paint from dying skin or other surfaces different colors.
- Always test on a surface before you paint but the colors washed right away on cement. Chalk paint is safe and non-toxic for kids and plants. Use a hose to remove if or when needed.
- If paint is left to settle, it will need to be mixed well again. Cornstarch can settle on the bottom and is thick until it is mixed so stir well.
- If keeping chalk paint overnight, keep covered. Add a little water if the paint is too thick. One batch could last two days, but I’d mix up a fresh batch past that as the water easily evaporates.
- This paint makes enough for two kids could share a muffin tin. For more kids, double the recipe and make lots of colors! Experiment with color mixing too! Have fun!
Did you try this easy homemade side chalk paint? Did you do anything different that worked well? Let us know in the comments and don’t forget to rate this idea too!
Pin This Idea For Later!