Hot and gooey, these easy ham and cheese sliders are a delicious appetizer for game day, parties or just for an easy lunch or dinner. Made with sweet Hawaiian style rolls, you can pop a few of these little gooey bites in the air fryer at a time, or make a double batch all at once oven baked. This recipe is quick and delicious!
Don’t lose this recipe! Enter your email below and we will email this recipe to you, plus more yummy recipes weekly.
If you’re looking for a party on a platter, you’ve come to the right place! Warm ham, gooey cheese mixed with delicious herbs on a warm fluffy bun? Yes Please!
These little sandwiches are perfect for game day as you can warm up a whole platter fast at once. They’re easy to make and definitely fun to eat.
Don’t underestimate popping a tray full in the air fryer for your next summer BBQ or the next time the family is hanging out though. The air fryer makes the sliders heat up fast without warming up the house!
Table of Contents
- Hawaiian Rolls– Hawaiian style rolls are just the right size, and also have a sweetness to them that works great for these sliders. You can also use any other slider sized roll
- Ham– Use deli ham, ham slices, or chipped ham. This recipe is also great for leftover holiday glazed ham.
- Swiss Cheese– Swiss cheese is classic for warm sliders. Since the sauce is flavorful, we want to use a mild but melty cheese. Provolone and Havarti, Colby jack and cheddar are also all great choices.
- Mayonnaise– This is the base of the savory sauce
- Onion powder
Variations For Sliders
- Spicy, Brown Or Honey Mustard– We aren’t huge mustard fans in our house, but a lot of people really like mustard with ham and cheese. If you are a mustard fan try adding two teaspoons to the mayo.
- Turkey– Ham doesn’t have to have all the fun! Turkey melts are delicious too with this recipe. Or you can try adding a slice of tomato and a little basil pesto to the mayo instead of the herbs on a turkey melt for a delicious twist. A platter full of ham and turkey sliders mixed is great for a crowd.
- Salami– Salami gives these sandwiches a little zing! Try genoa or calabrese salami
- Spicy– If you like things spicy, try adding some pickled jalapenos to the sandwich before cooking. This works well if you have a mix of people who like spicy and some who don’t.
How To Make The Sliders
- Mix The Sauce– Mix together the mayo and spices
- Layer The Sandwiches– Layer ham, cheese and sauce on the rolls to make mini sandwiches.
- Air Fryer or Oven Bake The Sandwiches– These hot ham and cheese sliders heat up super fast in the air fryer, but you may have to work in batches depending on the size of the air fryer. Or bake them in the oven on a sheet pan all at once.
- Plate And Enjoy– Slide those hot sandwiches on a platter and everyone can dig in!
Can You Make Ham And Cheese Sliders Ahead Of Time?
You can also make these sliders up to 4 hours in advance. Prep them, then slide them in the fridge in a covered container. I like to put a paper towel under them to help absorb any condensation.
When it’s time to eat, just bake or air fry them. I don’t like to make them any more than four hours in advance as the bun can end up too soggy.
How Many Sliders Should I Make For A Crowd?
If I am making this recipe for more than a few people, I will often double and triple the recipe. I have noticed most adults will have two sliders, with younger children often have one.
It of course depends on how much other food you are planning to make, but if you’re thinking about these sliders as more of a main dish, plan that each person will have two.
What Goes Well With Ham And Cheese Sliders?
- Golden Crispy Potato Wedges– Crispy on the outside, fluffy in the middle. These seasoned potato wedges are extra delicious with guacamole.
- Pasta Salad- Try my Italian Pasta Salad or Pesto Pasta Salad
- Black Bean Corn Salsa– This easy 10 minute dip makes a great side for a crowd with chips
- Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks – yum these gooey appetizers are always a hit for a family game night together.
- Mini Seven Layer Dip Cups– Everything you love about seven layer dip but in a mini size perfect for parties and bbqs.
Easy Ham And Cheese Sliders (Oven Baked Or Air Fryer)
For The Sliders
- 8 Hawaiian Style Rolls
- 16 Slices Ham
- 8 Ounces Swiss Cheese Sliced thin or shredded
For The Sauce
- 1/4 Cup Mayonnaise
- 1/2 Teaspoon Paprika
- 1 Teaspoon Parsley
- 1/2 Teaspoon Onion powder
- Slice the rolls in half so you have a top and bottom if not pre-sliced. Layer two pieces of ham and then the cheese on the bottom of the roll.
- In a small bowl mix together mayo, paprika, parsley and onion powder. Spread the mayo mixture on the inside of the tops of the rolls, then place the bread on top of the sandwiches.
In The Oven
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cover a baking sheet with foil, parchment, or just lightly spray the pan with oil.
- Cover the sliders with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Then remove the foil and bake for an additional 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
In The Air Fryer
- Place the sliders in your air fryer in a single layer. Heat the air fryer to 350 degrees.
- Cook the sliders for 5 minutes uncovered, or until a light golden brown. Work in batches if your air fryer isn't big enough to place all the sliders in at once.
- Try melting a tablespoon of butter and brush on the tops of the rolls, then sprinkle them with poppy seeds or sesame seeds and more parsley. This can be really impressive looking for a party as a snack or appetizer!
- You can also sprinkle some fresh parsley on top!
- 1/4 teaspoon of granulated garlic is also delicious in the dip. When I add garlic, I decrease the onion to 1/4 teaspoon.
- We usually use two slices of ham per sandwich, but depending on your ham one slice may be enough.